India became a British colony
jeudi 25 février 2010, par SOMMERARD, Paul (France)
When did India become a British colony ? What important event symbolized the British political power in India ?
India became an English colony progressively. One of the most important events took place in 1857 There was a popular revolt (the Sepoys) in India because the East India company tried to impose reforms which questioned the Indian culture (For example :the remarriage of the widows). The Company managed the economy of the country at that time so the English brought soldiers to India to calm the revolt. Finally, the East India Company was eliminated in 1858 and the power was transferred to the British Crown. In 1876 Queen Victoria ( 1819 – 1901 ) proclaimed herself Empress of India, symbolizing the British political power.
Derniers articles pour « Let’s speak english ! » :
- British India, decolonization by Charlote Ma, Nicolas R, Axel R, Marc S, Pauline G (France) 4)Louis Mountbatten prepared decolonization. Gandhi (more exactly Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi) : leader of the non-violent movement (also called ahimsa). Gandhi was also known as « Mohatma » (...)
- British india. We are going to talk about a part of the history of British India, causes and consequences of the colonization of this country. When did the British first come to India ? What' for (What was (...)
- Map of India at the time of the decolonization : We can't draw a map that is why we are going to explain the new countries after the Bristish decolonization of india. Sri Lanka which was called Ceylan is an island which is situated south of (...)
- Crazy about music Dans cet article les élèves de la classe 3ème A vont parler de leur passion pour la musique
- Introdusing myself by Mallaury G Hello. My name is Mallaury Grassi. I am thirteen years old. I am French. I live with my family, my mother Nathalie, my father George-André, and my little sister Morgan. I have got another sister (...)
- Introduce Myself by CharlotteMa (France) I'm Charlotte. I'm French. I was born in Salon de P. I am thirteen years old , soon fourteen. I am brown-haired. I have got green and brown eyes. I look like my father but my grand father is (...)
- Who I am by Mélissa M (France) Hello ! My name is Mélissa and I am a girl. I am 13 and I am French. I have got two cats. I have got one brother who is 10. His name is Samuel and he is very talkative. He is keen on riding his (...)
- Introducing myself by Lauriane V (France) Hello everyone ! My name is Lauriane. I am French and I live in a little village in the South East of France, near Marseille. I was born on the 4th of August 1995. My parents' names are (...)
- Hello and welcome Hello !!!! My name is Charlotte , I'm thirteen years old. My family and I are french. My father's name is forty five years old. My mother is forty-one years old. My brother's name is Yohann, he (...)
- Introduce myself by Axel. R Axel 4° D ( France) Introduce myself : My name is Axel. I am thirteen years old and I was born in twenty-eigth of April. I live in La Fare les Oliviers, and I'm French. My father is a foreman (...)